Founded in 1999, Healthy @ Work, Inc. is a wellness education and consulting company focused on improving the health of employees. The company provides twenty workshops on a wide range of health topics, utilizing advanced adult education techniques, to help employees make important lifestyle changes. These workshops help employees to prevent illness and thus improve their quality of life as well as save money for themselves and their employers. Healthy @ Work Workshops have been delivered to the following clients. ( Partial List )
Charles has written 8 books including Healthy at Work: Health in Your Pocket: Your Pocket Guide to Good Health, which is purchased by employers to give to their employees. Thousands of copies of this pocket guide have been purchased by public and private sector employers from coast-to-coast in the United States and Canada. His latest book is entitled The Healthy Smoker: How To Quit Smoking By Becoming Healthier First. It is in hundreds of pharmacies and bookstores across the country.
Charles has spoken in over 200 cities in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Latin America, primarily on organizational change and improvement as well as on wellness and health improvement. In both small and large group presentations Charles uses solid research and creative delivery techniques to challenge and inform his audiences.
Charles has received numerous awards and recognition for his work to improve communities, organizations and the health of employees including:
- Letter of commendation from the President of the United States.
- Spoke at the United Nations Habitat for Humanity Conference in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Nominated as man of the Year in a U. S. city.
- Named Man of the Year in a Canadian community.
- Keynote speaker – Florida Department of Health Summer Wellness Institute
- Speakers Bureau for TEC Florida (Chief Executive Officers Association)
- Contributor to Municipal World Magazine on government performance as well as Organization Health and Wellness.
- Contributing editor for the National Civic Review on government performance as well as health and wellness.
- Presentation to Florida Legislators on The Impact of Nutrition on the Florida Budget.
- Contributor to the Lance Armstrong Foundation web site on Children’s Nutrition
Penn State University – Wrote and taught Local Government Reform
York University – Wrote and taught Urban Innovation
Florida International University – Strategic Management Institute (1999 to present)
Performance Measurement for Municipalities
Measuring City Hall Performance: Finally A How To Guide
Public Sector Performance Measurement: Successful Strategies and Tools
Measuring Up: An Evaluation Tool Kit for Local Governments
Cutting Through Charisma: A Layman’s Guide to Electing Better Politicians
Electing Better Politicians: A Citizens Guide
Healthy at Work: Your Pocket Guide to Good Health
The Healthy Smoker: How to Quit Smoking By Becoming Healthier First
Health in Your Pocket: Your Pocket Guide to Good Health
Memberships and Associations
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine – Member
American Association of Nutritional Consultants – Member
International Association for Orthomolecular Medicine-Member
Union of Concerned Scientists- Member
B. A. Washington & Jefferson College – Major, Political Science; Minors, Education and Psychology
MLS – Skidmore College – Public Sector Decision Making
Ph.D. – Clayton College of Natural Health – Holistic Nutrition
1. He (Dr. Bens) is able to explain very complicated issues in a very simple way. He is a magnificent lecturer. It is no exaggeration to say that many of the listeners were just enraptured by him.
2. Oh, my word, this Dr. Bens was so informative. I think my mouth hung open for most of it with information I had never heard before. This was a great seminar. Thank you for bringing in such a great speaker.
3. This is by far the best class I have ever attended. It was presented in layman terms, where we all could follow and understand the instructor. Dr. Bens was excellent. I went to hear Dr. Andrew Weil once. He was very good, but at times he lost me. I could follow Dr. Bens throughout the presentation. He was not stingy with his knowledge, very happy to share his knowledge. Thank you.
4. I read your article Is Functional Medicine Here to Stay? in GreenMedInfo. I request your kind permission to reproduce it in the same way in a local newspaper. I am very keen on introducing Functional Medicine in my country, Sri Lanka. I shall get this published and take it up with our Prime Minister and Minister of Health to get this system introduced in Sri Lanka. Thanking you profusely. Your article is a godsend to me. Amal W. Sri Lanka.
5. This workshop will change my life forever. I had no idea about what I could be doing in terms of nutrition and nutritional supplements to deal with my depression. Every doctor and nurse in this hospital should attend this workshop. Barbara, RN.
6. Recently Citigroup’s Dallas campus had the good fortune of sponsoring a workshop on diet and weight loss from Dr. Charles Bens. My expectations for the workshop were so far exceeded that I found myself completely reclassifying the event. Dr. Bens is one of those rare presenters who combines an easy, unassuming style with a depth of knowledge and practical information delivered with an inspiring effect. His light touch and use of humor made a potentially “heavy” subject engaging and entertaining.
7. Yesterday I completed the Miami half marathon (13.1 miles). I am grateful to our H.R. Department for hiring a wellness expert such as Dr. Charles Bens. His webinars provided the inspiration and knowledge that culminated in my completing this race. By listening to the wellness webinars and downloading the user-friendly materials, I was able to accomplish something special. Also, I am 61 years of age.
8. I bought Health In Your Pocket at Apothecare in Fort Myers, but I moved near Ocala and would love to buy another copy for a friend. I love my copy ….Is there someplace where I can purchase it? I use the book lots! I have given up on so many doctors that talk to you for 30 seconds and say “let’s try this prescription”……then they’re on to the next patient visit. I have found answers in your book that have helped with ailments and also things to be cautious about too.
9. Bens’ program has helped me to better understand the science behind my body and helped to identify what metabolism I have. I learned about leptin and digestive enzymes, as well as how to get the nutrients I was lacking. I started to see changes, and I am excited to say that I feel better, and look better. People have been complimenting me on my appearance and that just makes it all the more worthwhile. This is definitely not a journey because all journeys have to end; this is more of a lifestyle change that I will always stick to.
10. I hope you remember me, I am just emailing you to tell you that after taking 300mg of Q10, 200mg B6 and B12complex for roughly 3 months the protein leak in my urine has completely stopped; this has been leaking for years and my kidney function has stabilized at 35 after two 3 monthly examinations, after drops of 6 to 9 points every three months for 18 months. I firmly believe that Vitamin B6 and the Q10 has stabilized my kidneys and I will take them for the rest of my life.
11. Everyone thought you were the highlight of the meeting. Thanks so much for doing such a great job, and please keep me informed on what develops for you. I have given Kirk the push for you to be a key note speaker at our National Conference next June.
12. I truly thank you for your detailed explanation and potential solutions for Margi. Your presentation at our conference was fantastic and I am going to incorporate much of what you recommended into my lifestyle. Also, , I would like to see if I could fly you out to Palm Springs, CA to make your presentation to my clients.
13. I thought Dr. Bens was so warm and friendly. It didn’t seem like a lecture or training; more like a friend sharing information because he cared about my health. His demeanor was wonderful, inspirational and hopeful. He made you feel like anybody could change their eating habits.
14. Your talk was phenomenal, Congrats again on a terrifically successful, informative, upbeat and purposeful symposium. I am so glad to have spent the time and really learned a lot. Thank you for making it your mission to inform and empower us.
15. I have to tell you what I took away from your presentation at the executive session Wednesday…may well be the most informative seminar I have ever attended, I once was lost, but now am found. You’ve helped me make the decision to change: incredibly informative. Thank you.